Tuesday, April 24, 2012

The Sorcerer's Stone

Book #1


All through my childhood, I was told that I wasn't allowed to watch or read the Harry Potter series. In those days everything was black and white. I knew what was good and I knew what was bad. Harry Potter was bad. And I knew this because I was told Witches and Wizards using magic is something of the devil.


In school I looked down on other students reading Harry Potter and wrote them off from being my friend. I truly thought it was evil.


Now, years later, I look back astonish how wrong and twisted my viewpoint really was. The first time I was offered to watch one of the movies was in Denmark when I was an exchange student, I was open it see it, but I wanted to start from the beginning. So it wasn't until years later when I saw the first one, The Sorcerers Stone. I was quite excited to see the movie, but some of my family that joined me trash the film and hurt the feelings of the girl who was sharing it with us.


I was excited to see the second movie, but the girl never invited us back, even though I asked several times. It was only recently that I went through and made it my business to see them all. I enjoyed seeing the movies, (which I saw by myself) my family is slightly hostile to it still.


Ironically, my preconceived notion was that Harry Potter was attacking the faith, when in fact it mirrors Christianity. There is even an allude to the crucifiction in the last book.


I thought that I should keep a blog to keep my thoughts written down through this process and document any hating towards the books I will be reading.


So far the only hating I've had was my Aunt telling me that I was wasting a perfectly good Saturday morning reading Harry Potter.





No comments:

Post a Comment